Until now, we have been using Jenkins for almost every single task that we have automated. With Gitlab CI on the market, we have a number of new possibilities.
Some of the highlights are:
- Multi-platform – you can execute builds on Unix, Windows, OSX, and any other platform that supports Go.
- Multi-language – build scripts are command-line driven and work with Java, PHP, Ruby, C and any other language.
- Pipeline – you can define multiple jobs per stage and you can trigger other builds.
- Autoscaling – you can automatically spin up and down VM's to make sure your builds get processed immediately and minimize costs.
- Build artifacts – you can upload binaries and other build artifacts to GitLab and browse and download them.
- Docker support – you can use custom Docker images, spin up services as part of testing, build new Docker images, even run on Kubernetes.